It’s our year, Pigs!
Or boars, which ever you prefer.
This half-Chinese, half-Filipino gal is wishing you and yours a wonderful and prosperous new year!
I feel a need or desire to educate those who come to my space about this holiday. I’ve done it every year, for the past handful of years. So, I don’t think I’ll go into all those details. Rather, I wanted to share some of the Pig characteristics,
Do you ever read something, such as your astrolgical sign or your zodica animal, and sit there and debate if it matches you? Asking for a friend. HAHA! Take the following with a grain of salt and hopfully it will make you chuckle as much as I did.
Overall characteristics of the PIG, from this website:
- It is the twelfth of all zodiac animals
- We are associated with the Earthly Branch
- We are associated with the 9-11 hours in the night
- We are Yin
- We are the symbol of wealth
- Chubby faces and big ears are signs of fortune as well
- Pigs have a beautiful personality and are blessed with good fortune in life
- We are realistic –
- We enjoy life – entertainment and the occasional treat
- Slightly materialistic, but this is motivation for us to work hard
- We are energetic and always enthusiastic, even for boring jobs/tasks
- They seek positions of power and status
- Gentle and rarely lose their temper
- Always try to compromise and settle things quickly
- Very tolerant and understanding
- If someone makes a mistake, they try to help that person fix it
- Great build and resilient bodies
- Always spirited and tend to never run out of energy
- Can overlook minor symptoms (for their body) which turn bad
- Lead very busy lives – need to remember to take breaks
- Season changes effect them
To dive even more
- Responsible and serious
- Influnced by others
- Listen and communicate well with their friends and family
- Have good fortuen and will retire with ample savings
Oh, then they even break it down by sex! I love reading this stuff. Here are the characteristics of Pigs who are women:
- Full of excitment
- Atten social events whenever possible and treat everyone genuinely
- Gain peoples trust easily
- Easygoing personality
- Can be overfriendly and forget about personal space
- Good fortue with wealth
- They work hard for their money, they don’t start with an advantage
- Highly organized at home
- Love children – playing with children brings them the greatest joy
Of course, I only want to agree with the good stuff and vehemently deny the stuff I don’t want to agree with. Or also get excited about the good fortune things too. I was also excited to see that my favorite numbers are also apparently the Pigs lucky numbers too!
Then it all culminates in talking about Pigs in the Year of the Pig, which apparently is BAD for us! Great! HAHA! 2018 wasn’t that well for us either and it isn’t getting any better this year!
Again, take this all with a grain of salt and enjoy it for what it is. The Chinese are very superstitious, so I can respect the meaning behind all this. I saw firsthand how these superstitious could play out in a family — and it is not always so great. But they are part of our history and I respect the part they play in our history as a people.
Gung hay fat choy!
May the new year bring you good health and good fortune.