Do I even have 35 things I’ve learned this year?
Before we get into it, I have to admit, I’ve been walking around assuming I’m 36 and about to turn 37. HAHA! I
I’ve always been one to celebrate birthdays. I love celebrating my next trip around the sun. I’m not afraid to get older, but I am afraid of death. I look forward to a year of lessons learned, the love shared, the laughter had, and good food enjoyed. I don’t expect every year to be shiny and rosy, but I do hope for the best.
That being said, here are 35 things I’ve learned this year:
- Listen to your body.
- You can’t make anyone else happy if you aren’t happy with yourself.
- The actions of others have NOTHING to do with you.
- Your friends might not like your partner, but they probably won’t tell you.
- Being raised on love is very different than being raised on survival.
- Do the things that are hard and uncomfortable, you probably need more of that.
- Stop apologizing for everything.
- I do not have to accept sexist and racist comments from anyone.
- I want to be an emotional role model.
- I crave authenticity.
- When you distrust someone, you are breaking trust within yourself too — listen to your instincts.
- Try to be more fluid in life, which also parallels removing expectations.
- Accept people exactly how they are.
- Intimacy is ‘in-to-me-I-see.’
- Discernment is key for dating, especially in the beginning.
- Falling in love with potential will break your heart in the end.
- Just because you are by yourself, doesn’t mean you are lonely or alone.
- Honesty is the highest form of intimacy.
- Feelings don’t leave, they change.
- It’s okay to NOT be okay.
- Mental health is just as important as physical health.
- Let kindness come through in everything you do.
- A relationship should be a true partnership.
- Family can be toxic and it is okay to set boundaries with them.
- Make smarter and strategic purchases — no more impulses.
- To travel is to live.
- Trying to change someone is futile.
- It’s okay to be too much for some people.
- Stop labeling food as ‘bad’ or ‘good.’
- Portion control is truly what works for my body.
- A variety of workouts, lifting, running, and soccer truly makes my soul happy.
- Self-confidence, self-love, and self-care are healthy and not narcissistic or selfish!
- If God removed it, let it be.
- Running and I are in a relationship and I should treat it as such.
- My intuition is eerily good…almost, too good!
Well, that was fun. Once I got started, I didn’t want to stop. Lucky for you I had a max 😉
As I approach 36, I feel like I’m coming into this age with a fresh perspective. I learned a lot about myself, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually during this trip around the sun. Maybe more than any other trip around the sun, to date. I have more to learn and improve upon, but I love the woman I am and am becoming.
Birthday Month is a thing and you cannot stop it! HAHA